Tuesday 26 September 2017

Umbrella Man


May 2:

“I can’t believe I’ve become one of those women lamenting the fact that I’m single.  My relationships are always disasters! Where’s Mr. Right when you need him?”  She sighed dramatically and laughed.  “Get a life, Nicole!  Anyway, my hair looks great, as usual, Marg. If you give me a plastic bag, I can cover it so it won’t get ruined.” The rain continued to pour down the salon window making it impossible to see outside.
                                                
"Wait ‘til it lets up! You’ll get soaked!”

“I have to get home.  My guests coming over in less than two hours and there’s still so much to do.  I’ll be fine. Besides it’s only two blocks.”  Steeling herself, she waved at her stylist. “Wish me luck.”

“Crap!”  A deep puddle. Her feet sloshed around inside her sodden high heels, making running impossible.  Her clothes were soaked through almost immediately. Walking as quickly as possible, she passed the post office and the bakery.  Just one more block to go.  Short of breath, she made it to the corner just in time for a red light.  Too much traffic to jaywalk. 

“Care to share my umbrella?  It’s pretty nasty out here.”

She turned.  He was beautiful.  Tall.  Thick, dark hair. Shocking blue eyes.  Her heart pounded as she ducked under the offered shelter. Their eyes locked.  She struggled to breathe.  How could one man be so striking?

“Thank you.  It’s so kind of you.”

“Do you live far from here?”

“Just down the street.  Just a short hobble,” she laughed, glancing down at her waterlogged shoes.

Eyes still fixed on hers, he sang.  His voice was deep and pleasing. “I’ll be your umbrella man.  Shower you with all my love.”

She laughed again, joyfully.  Possibilities and sweet hope filled her hammering heart.  Lost in those eyes.

The light turned green.....  

MAY 3: 

BRADFORD FREE PRESS:  UMBRELLA KILLER STRIKES AGAIN                                 



1 comment:

  1. Help- I need an umbrella- where is this man lol!
    Always love your writing- 'feet sloshing in high heels' reminded me of that man with a foot ferish who wanted to see your feet- the stories of our lives are as interesting as our fiction(s).
    Love You Mssy- keep writing and sending!

    ReplyDelete