Saturday 31 December 2011

Fay???

The vacation would have been perfect if not for the constant bickering between us. If I wanted to go to the beach, Jean-Pierre wanted to go hiking.  If I wanted to go to a restaurant, he voted for a picnic at the beach.  It had been that way for more than a week when we finally hit upon an idea.  One day was to be his, to do whatever he pleased, and the next day was mine.  


Today was mine and the first order of the day was to find Fay.  It had been twelve years since I last saw her, but now that we were in Prince Edward Island, her stomping grounds, I hoped to find her again.  I looked in the phone book for her number, but she wasn't listed...no one by that name!  What a shame.  We would be leaving in a day or two and I wouldn't get to see her.


Disheartened, but unwilling to waste my day, I dragged J.P. to Cavendish Beach. Normally the lover of long walks, he decided that he wanted to stop at the first cove. This was as good a place as any, he decided. Normally the sluggard, I was for going farther. "Uh uh. Not for me.  It doesn't feel right.  I'll know the spot when I find it."  It was my day, after all!


On we trudged, our cooler and beach paraphernalia getting heavier with each step. At the second cove, he asked if perhaps we might just 'put down'.  "Nope, not yet. Still not right."  The third and last cove!  It felt right.  That small mound of sand back there, that was the spot!  I spread my towel over it and plunked down contentedly. "Are you sure you want to stop here?  Why don't we walk a little more? Up the beach, up that way.  It looks nicer."  "No, I like it here.  This is the right spot! Right here!"


He conceded gracefully and arranged his towel beside mine.  We passed some time laughing at the antics of the two lively, young boys playing in the sand in front of us. When their mother leaned to the side to reprimand them, a perky, pink-tipped breast was exposed.  I nudged J.P.  "Look quick," I whispered.  He had been deprived of such sights in Canada.  On the beaches in France, half-naked bodies were a dime a dozen. Suddenly the woman turned even more.  Wait...was it possible?  Something about her reminded me of Fay.  No, it couldn't be, could it?  


The young woman and her husband started packing up to leave.  I had to say something...had to find out.  They started walking away...it was now or never. "Fay???" She turned and looked at me.  "Arlene???"

10 comments:

  1. Things like this happen to you way too often! You are scarey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley...did you write that comment??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You used my name to sign in...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAH! Good one, Arrr. We always thought you were psycho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks RWT (aka Rom) and thanks for suggesting (and for the help you gave me) I create a blog!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great coincidence(ノ*゜▽゜*)!! everythingthing happens for a meaning☆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! But as you know...I don't believe in coincidence!

      Delete